Pages

Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Lots of Library Time . . .

This summer, my big brother David and I have been volunteering every Tuesday at the Huntington Beach library near our house. We go at 9am and interact with kids and parents until 11am.
During the first few weeks of the program, we worked 3-5pm. But there was an extra person who had nothing to do in the whole 2 hours, so we got transferred to 9am where there is a lot more business. 
Our job is to sign kids up for the Summer Reading Program (where they read 54 books/chapters or 20 minute blocks for prizes) or hand out prizes to the ones who have completed a certain amount of books or minute blocks. Usually we work with 2 other people, but sometimes it's just 3 or even 2.  Everything is recorded on the computer, so it's super easy.
At 9am there is story and sing-a-long time for the young kids in the Tabby Theater, so when we're not interacting with people, we get the pleasure of listening to the 'Good Morning' song and lovely stories about big red foxes. It can be quite entertaining!
There are also a lot of super cute little kids.Today, I had a little girl, probably around the age of 4, come up to me and ask me what my name was. I told her and asked the same thing. I found out that her name was Abbi. Abbi then just smiled and walked off. And that was it! Just super cute and friendly.
The program ends next Friday, but does that mean that you have to stop reading? Absolutely not! Read on, I say, read on!!

No comments:

Post a Comment